What is Design/Build? And what's the alternative?
The biggest difference is One Coordinated effort vs a series of contributors without a system of working together.
Garden View Way
a project delivery system used in the construction industry in which the design and construction services are contracted by a single entity known as the “Design/Build Contractor.”
Architect & Subs Processes
When homeowners hire their own architects and subcontractors,
they often are left in the middle of headaches & disputes and there is a lack of singular responsibility which can be more costly down the road.
1. Initial Project Consultation
Creative design team paired w/ real world construction and budget experience
1. Initial Design Consultation
The initial sales call with a landscape architect may be a great artist but not an experienced builder or experienced with construction costs
A conceptual design presented via 3D video and images comes at a much lower cost with a more engaging, easily interpreted and realistic representation of the plan
A good architectural design should be much more expensive because it needs to be extensively detailed.? This will make a best attempt at comparing apples to apples when used for distribution to contractors for bidding.
3. Estimating / Value Optimization
Experienced estimators provide selection options and accurate committed costs.? This is where our coordinated team can work with you and your budget to perform cost benefit analysis via scope, selection & phasing options
with each tradesman having their own performance and quality standards, it makes it very difficult to get revised costing, options, and scope changes from various contractors
The same team installing your project designed it, so from your end permitting is a breeze. Our experienced team knows the ins and outs to get through this stage as efficient & painless as reasonable. Your city inspector loves us ??
Many permits need to be pulled with the right contractors licenses.? Usually the architect is not a licensed contractor
ONE coordinated effort always means a better, smoother and more cost effective project.
"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" -Aristotle
Lack of coordination & synergy between the dozens of trades that come together for your project can cause headaches, errors, issues, and an inferior final product.
Accountability is one place from a well known established company
Who is responsible when mixed disciplines come together?
Enhanced Customer Experience
Build Schedule and Workflow Management
Daily Logs are available for whole organization
Checklists performed on every phase of the job by all teammates
Project Manager Marks up Photos & Dispatches to-dos with due dates
Convenient Owners Portal:
Positive or negative change order approvals and deadlines
Transparent Billing + Convenient ACH Payments
The Garden View Design Build Process
1. Preliminary Consultation
- Consultant will review property with you and discuss ideas, goals & interests
- Review portfolio with Consultant taking notes on taste/style interests
- Discuss with consultant design styles, and how art applies to landscape design
- Review Garden View process and how it all comes together
- Consultant assembles WAG (Wild Ass Guess) price for budget preparation
- Consultant creates Design Proposal? for review/acceptance
- Project is assigned a designer and introduced to client
- Designer surveys & measures property
- Initial design plan created & reviewed with Client
- Adjustments are made to plan and approved by Client
- Estimator visits site, takes pictures, checks soil types, and collects misc. information
- Estimator imports measurements and counts from design/takeoff software
- Subcontractor bids are solicited and assembled
- Estimate entered & assembled in BTrend
- Estimate Reviewed with project manager
- Proposal is reviewed with client at Garden View offices
4. Value Optimizing
- A new “Value Optimized” Proposal is developed
Often part of the process of design to construction is the "Value Optimization" or the "Value Engineering" phase. The "Value Optimization" purpose is to keep the essence and functionality of the design intact but figuring out ways to reduce the amount of investment. It often requires choices, scope changes, compromises, substitutions, sacrifices, tradeoffs, eliminations, design alterations and cost/benefit analysis. Usually this entails an exercise between all participants that is primarily driven by the party making the investment working with the Garden View Team.
- A new “Value Optimized” Proposal is developed
5. Contract Signing
- Proposal & Terms/Conditions approved & signed by Client & Garden View
- Initial $1000.00 deposit paid by customer
- Permit details assembled by designer/estimator
- Engineering details assembled for submission
- Permit application submitted by Project Manager and/or Permit Expediter
- Back & forth with City/County permit department handled by experts in the field
- Build schedule developed in this interim
7. The Build
- Build schedule built with linking of necessary trades, tasks, to-do’s, and processes
- POs are assembled and Time Goals distributed for project
- Daily logs created by the project manager to track and update job progress
- Build/Dispatch schedule updated daily
- Selections, deductions, upgrades, and change orders are assembled and put on BT Cloud for approval, denial, or request for more information
- Transparent billing system updated weekly based on % completion of project
8. EnjoyEnjoy your new living space!
- Review the Garden View Owner’s manual that has been specifically configured for you.? It includes vital information on the type of plants, equipment and products installed and maintenance tips
- Review Garden View Monthly Garden tips on how & when to maintain specific plants
- Receive and review Garden View emailed fun & illustrated Garden Tips from Gardy and Woody
- Over 70% of our business is from repeat clients and glowing recommendations. If you are happy with your project please pass on the good words.
- If you have any issue the Warranty needs are logged and attended to promptly
- Garden View Owner’s Manual created specifically for you has warranty information, serial numbers and maintenance tips
- Garden View has been in existence for over 40 years we are here to help you get the maximum from your investment